Saturday, October 18, 2008

Elaine

Elaine is my Grandpa Bardo's youngest child. They dote on each other much like my father and younger sister do. Elaine will always have the most up-to-date information on my grandfather (who is getting on in age, with the expected effects). She and Arne have parented some fourteen exchange students, mostly Finnish and Swedish, and a succession of gold tabby felines. I would have loved to have been at their wedding, a mixture of New England Lutheran and Russian Jewish tradition. I feel the same ease and fluidity with Elaine that I talk about with Arne. We3 seem to have something of a kindred outlook. She thrives on diversity of thought and experiencing other cultures. She engages. She realizes that perception is an art requiring practice. As we share a parent, we talk easily of family and mortality and life's experiences and pursuits. Twice her house has been a wayside in my travels. Both times it has felt like home.

No comments: