Sunday, September 28, 2008

Atom

Atom, as my Grandpa might say, is a regular guy. (My grandfather reserved this respect for the most solid and sincere people.) He once trekked with me to Spiral Jetty to retrieve a sea kayak that I had to abandon after an epic outing on the Great Salt Lake. He will always lend a hand or share knowledge and thoughts, without assumption, arrogance or guile. A biology phd, he can, literally, make mouse piss an interesting topic (as if it weren't already, I know). He has a knack for finding good music and recommending the best books, while still allowing you your own experience. He loves quality food and creates superb dining experiences. Never stodgy, nor self-absorbed. He mentored me in climbing. Safe, yet bold and self-challenging, without showboating. He savors others' successes. The miracle of Atom is, that simply living his life, he unlocks worlds for those around him.

No comments: